If you’re considering Direct Primary Care (DPC) as an alternative to traditional healthcare, you may be wondering what to expect from your first appointment. Here’s a brief overview of what you can expect:
- Longer appointment times: Unlike traditional healthcare providers, DPC providers typically allow for longer appointment times, often ranging from 30 minutes to an hour. This extra time allows for a more thorough discussion of your health history and current concerns.
- Comprehensive medical history review: We will review your medical history, including any previous illnesses or injuries, family medical history, and current medications.
- Physical exam: We will perform a physical exam, which may include checking your blood pressure, heart rate, and other vital signs.
- Discussion of your health goals: Informed by the three (3) above, we will want to know what your health goals are and what you hope to achieve through DPC. This may include discussing chronic conditions, preventive care along the lines of functional medicine and holistic care, or lifestyle changes.
- Creation of a personalized care plan: Based on your medical history, physical exam, and health goals, we will create a personalized care plan that may include preventive care, chronic disease management, or acute care.
- Education on DPC: We will likely spend some time educating you on what DPC is and how it differs from traditional healthcare. This may include discussing the cost structure, the availability of same-day or next-day appointments, and the ability to communicate with your provider outside of office hours.
- Discussion of costs: We will explain how and why DPC costs are good for you, your family and/or your business, underlining its affordability, accessibility, and transparency, and how all of these also contribute to the achievement of the high-quality healthcare you deserve.
Overall, your first DPC appointment will likely be more personalized, thorough, and focused on your individual health needs than a traditional healthcare appointment. By taking the time to get to know you and your health goals, we will be well-poised to create a personalized care plan that meets your unique needs and helps you achieve optimal health.